Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Priorities In Life

A year ago today I lost one of my best friends, Glenn Loadholtz, to an automobile accident. I've never really considered myself the type to have a best friend, just lots of good friends. Glenn was truly one of my best friends. I can't remember when I met him or exactly how we became friends, it just seems like it always was.

Right out of high school we went to a Miami Dolphins game at his insistence. He was a guy that loved to take off and do something fun. He knew how to live life. So I borrowed by sisters' car, and off we went. We had no idea exactly where to go or how long it would take to get there, we just knew we had two tickets and we were going. Glenn taught me how to go with the flow and enjoy myself. After that first trip it turned into a yearly tradition and we threw in a weekend in the Keys each trip for good measure.

I have a lot of fond memories from throughout my life, and Glenn was responsible for a lot of them. Of course I never really realized this until he was gone, but his death reminded me of what a lucky man I was to have him as a friend.

Tonight I'm going to enjoy a good cigar, a beer, remember how good I've got it, and appreciate everything the good Lord has blessed me with. I have a wife whom I love very much, a family that is always there for me, and friends I feel blessed to call my friends. And to top it all off I live in the greatest country man has ever known.

Glenn was taken from us far to early at the age of 35 and just five weeks shy of his wedding date with his true love that he had searched so long for. I don't understand why he had to go so soon, but it's something I have to accept and am grateful for the time we did have together as friends.

Thanks for everything, Glenn. I miss you a lot, but know someday we'll see each other again.

No comments: