Wednesday, February 22, 2006

U.S. Ports and the U.A.E.

When I first heard about the deal with the U.A.E. to manage major ports within the United States, I caught a whiff of hysteria that turned me off. I was listening to our local morning radio guy in Orlando, Pat Campbell, and he was livid about the deal. He was going on about Saudi Arabia and comparing it to turning over air traffic control to them on September 12, 2001, and on, and on, and on. I couldn't help but think about everything I'd heard about what a good ally the U.A.E. had been since 9/11, so I figured there was a lot more to this. It turns out I was right.

I still don't know what to make of the deal because, quite frankly, we don't know exactly what we're talking about. There are great discussions going on with the likes of Michelle Malkin and Jim Geraghty talking about the issue. We also have excellent editorials from the Wall Street Journal and Washington Times, for and against, respectively.

That aside, in the end I have the feeling this may well turn out a bit like the NSA flap. Democrats, in their zeal to nail the President and prove their national security credentials will once again over reach. When the details become clear, it may very well be completely overblown and they'll be forced once again to move on to the next "scandal" to try and bring the President down. BDS makes them do crazy things.

Speaking of the President I've heard some rumbling from conservatives that perhaps this president really is arrogant and can't admit a mistake. If they're criticizing the Administrations handling of the deal, then they have a legitimate beef. But, if they're criticizing the President for sticking to his guns and threatening a veto, then they're wrong. I find his steadfastness admirable and reassuring.

Everybody was stunned yesterday when the President came out and strongly defended the deal. People were surprised because it was the incorrect thing to do politically. But we're talking about national security, and when it comes to that I'll give the President great deference on the matter, he's earned it.

No comments: